CANSO Executive Summit 2021
CANSO’s Executive Summit, sponsored by Aireon, provides a unique platform for executive leaders and key decision-makers from our member community to meet, exchange ideas and develop new insights as we prepare for the future.
Join our Executive Summit in 2021 to hear from forward thinking leaders and some of the world’s foremost experts on innovative approaches to the complex challenges that the ATM industry faces.
CANSO Drinks Reception
Those attending the CANSO Executive Summit on Monday 25 October are cordially invited to join us for drinks on the Patios Foyer of the Melia Castilla Hotel between 17:30 and 18:30 CEST that evening.
Our Executive Summit is for CANSO Members only. Those with access to myCANSO, our Members’ site, can log in here to register.
All times are CEST
- 07:45 – 09:15: Registration
- 09:15 – 09:30: Welcome and Opening – CANSO Director General, Simon Hocquard, will welcome the audience to our first in-person gathering in over 18 months.
- 09:30 – 10:30: Getting the Industry Flying Again – The last 18 months has been one of the most challenging periods in aviation’s history. In this panel session hosted by Aireon CEO, Don Thoma, Poh Theen Soh (CANSO Director, Asia Pacific Affairs), Gabriela Logatto (President, EANA), Hamza Johari (DG Tanzania Civil Aviation Authority) and Raine Luojus (CEO Fintraffic Air Navigation Services) will provide insight into how the industry has come together throughout the recovery, as well as plans to build a brighter future for aviation.
- 10:30 – 11:40: A Blueprint for Future Skies – Last December CANSO announced the creation of the Complete Air Traffic Services Global Council with the goal of developing a cross-industry vision for the future of our skies. Less than a year later, senior leaders from across the aviation industry will paint a picture of what the skies of 2045 will look like and the plan to develop a roadmap to get there.
- 11:40 – 11:55: Break
- 11:55 – 12:40: Standing for a Sustainable Future for Aviation – Evidence of the undeniable impact of climate change crosses our news channels on an almost daily basis. To secure its future, aviation must chart a path to reducing its environmental impact. United Airlines has been a leader in its approach to this critical issue and was recently recognised by Air Transport World as the 2021 Eco-Airline of the year. CANSO is excited to welcome Lauren Riley, Managing Director, Global Environmental Affairs and Sustainability for United Airlines who will talk about the importance of setting bold targets and taking an extraordinary stand. Lauren will talk about the extraordinary lengths United is taking to become 100% green and the important role that ATM can play in helping the industry tackle one of Society’s biggest challenges.
- 12:40 – 12:55: ATM: Delivering a Sustainable Future for Aviation – CANSO is creating a high-level body of multi-disciplinary stakeholders to identify the key measures that will contribute significantly to emissions reductions and identify ways to unblock the most significant barriers preventing progress. As Chair of this initiative, Graeme Sumner, Airways New Zealand CEO will set the scene for our plans to fast track sustainability efforts in Air Traffic Management.
- 12:55 – 13:00: Wrap up and Close – Simon Hocquard, Director General, CANSO
- 13:00 – 14:30: Lunch
The CANSO Executive Summit 2021 will take place at the Meliá Castilla Hotel.
Calle del Poeta Joan Maragall, 43, 28020 Madrid, Spain
We recommend the Meliá Castilla Hotel as your accommodation during the CANSO Executive Summit 2021.
To book your stay at the Meliá Castilla Hotel please click here to benefit from the CANSO delegate rate.
Madrid is the capital city of Spain, with a population of 3.2 million inhabitants. This large and growing population makes it the third largest city in the European Union.
For more information on the latest Covid-19 restrictions and requirements for entry into Madrid, Spain please visit the following website for regular updates: https://www.spth.gob.es/
There are a number of countries whose citizens are required to have a valid current visa to enter Spain. For information about obtaining a visa, please visit: https://www.spain.info/en/informacion-practica/consejos-viaje/consejos-practicos/requisitos/. For those citizens who require a visa it is recommended to start the visa application process early.
The currency in Spain is the Euro.
Credit and Debit Cards
Most international credit cards including VISA and MasterCard are widely accepted in Madrid and can be used in various outlets and ATMs.
In Madrid, there are several means of transport to get around town. The most popular are the subway network, the bus service and local trains. Official taxis in Madrid carry diagonal red stripes and a green light on the roof. Uber is also available in Madrid.
In case of an emergency, dial 112 (free of charge).
For non-emergency services call 091 for the police, 061 for an ambulance and 080 for the fire brigade.
The international country dialling code for Madrid is 34.
The average daytime temperature in October is 15 degrees Celcius, 59 Farenheit.
Meliá Castilla Hotel
Calle del Poeta Joan Maragall, 43, 28020 Madrid, Spain
CANSO Executive Summit
09:15 – 13:00
IFEMA, Feria de Madrid (North Entrance), 28042 Madrid, Spain
26 October – 28 October
World ATM Congress
Tuesday 10:00 – 19:30
Wednesday 10:00 – 18:00
Thursday 10:00 – 14:00
Health and Safety Protocols
We want to share with you the measures we have put in place to keep us all safe at our upcoming CANSO events. This document outlines Spanish government requirements, measures that the Melia Castilla has introduced, as well as additional measures CANSO is applying.
Spanish government requirements:
- Well fitted medical masks (covering nose and mouth) must be properly worn indoors at all times except when eating and drinking
- Social distancing of 1.5M must be observed
- People must be seated when eating or drinking
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
Melia Castilla hotel requirements (venue for the CANSO Executive Summit 2021 and CANSO 25th AGM 2021):
- Regular temperature checks
- Enhanced ventilation
Additional CANSO advice:
CANSO advises delegates to not attend the CANSO gatherings if you have tested positive for COVID-19, are waiting for COVID-19 test results, have COVID-19 symptoms, or if you have had close contact with a person who has tested positive for or who has symptoms of COVID-19.
Physical contact restriction
We highly recommend that you avoid physical contact including handshakes, hugs, and limit the distribution and exchange of printed material.
To minimise contact at the start of our event, a dedicated registration team will be in place to register you and to hand you your name badge. The organisers will carry out all the necessary protocols to ensure that health and safety measures are followed at all times.
The layout for the meeting and conference rooms has been designed to ensure local distancing regulations are met throughout. Delegates can use multiple entrances and exits in order to discourage crowded waiting areas.
Cleaning and hygeine
Our team will work closely with the Melia Castilla Hotel to ensure continuous sanitisation of our event spaces, including restrooms, door handles, food service areas, conference room tables, AV equipment, and common areas.
Hand sanitising stations will be placed throughout the event space.
Food and beverage
All participants must be seated when consuming food and beverages. Food services will be modified to ensure we meet all Health and Safety Protocols.
Air quality and ventilation
To guarantee safety and hygiene, and particularly the air quality in meeting rooms, the Melia Castilla Hotel has opened the external ventilation system at 100% with air renewal every 5 minutes, 12 times per hour.
Protect and detect
Based on local health authority rules, you must wear a Spanish health approved (medical) face mask covering your nose and mouth when indoors, on public transportation and outdoors when there are crowds. Please see below for an example of the type of face mask required. Please make sure you bring an approved mask with you to the CANSO Executive Summit 2021 and CANSO 25th AGM 2021. Should you forget your mask, or your mask does not meet Spanish health authority requirements, CANSO will provide you with one. Masks should be changed at least every 4 hours, with the old mask thrown away in a bin provided. Please wash your hands after removing your mask. Coverings are not needed outdoors as long as a social distance of 1.5 meters from different social bubbles is respected.
Every participant at CANSO’s events will be subject to temperature checks upon arrival at the Melia. Unfortunately, we will not be able to allow you to enter should you refuse to have a temperature check.
If your temperature is equal to or greater than 37.5°C we will unfortunately be unable to allow you to enter the event and we will advise you to leave the event space and seek further medical attention.
If you are attending the CANSO Executive Summit 2021 and CANSO 25th AGM 2021, we strongly encourage you to be fully vaccinated upon your arrival. If you are not vaccinated, we ask that you take a Covid-19 test (PCR or lateral flow test) 72 hours prior to your arrival at the Melia.
If you are staying in the Melia Castilla Hotel we will provide you with a lateral flow test delivered to your room. In order to ensure we keep each other safe; we highly recommend you take this test the morning of Monday 25 October the day of the CANSO Executive Summit 2021 and CANSO 25th AGM 2021, and to not attend our events in case you test ‘positive’.
The Melia Castilla Hotel has medical staff onsite. If you feel unwell and are staying at the hotel please remain in your hotel room and call the reception desk to ask for assistance. If you are not in your hotel room at the time of feeling unwell, please proceed to your hotel room and call the reception desk for assistance. If you feel unwell at any of the CANSO events in the Melia Castilla Hotel and are not a guest of the hotel, please report to the hotel main reception desk for assistance.