Irish Aviation Authority (IAA)
The Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) was established as a commercial state-sponsored body on 1 January 1994 under the Irish Aviation Authority Act, 1993 and employs approximately 650 people at six locations around Ireland. It is responsible for the provision of air traffic management services in Irish controlled airspace (covering some 451,000 square km) and the safety and security regulation of the Irish civil aviation industry.
The ATM Operations & Strategy Directorate of the Irish Aviation Authority provides air traffic management services in airspace controlled by Ireland.
IAA Air Traffic Management services include:
- Air traffic control
- ATC Flight Information
- Aeronautical information
- North Atlantic Communications
IAA Safety regulatory services include:
- Aircraft airworthiness certification and registration
- Licensing of personnel and organisations involved in aircraft maintenance
- Licensing of pilots, air traffic controllers and aerodromes
- The approval and surveillance of air carrier operating standards.
The oversight of civil aviation security involves inspections and audits of airports, air carriers, cargo companies, airport suppluiers and suppliers of in-flight services.
The IAA ensures that Irish civil aviation operates to safety standards set internationally, principally by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), European Joint Aviation Authorities (JAA), Eurocontrol, The European Civil Aviation Conference (ECAC), The European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), and the European Union.
The IAA became a shareholder in Entry Point North in December 2013 in partnership with Naviair (Denmark), LFV (Sweden) and Avinor (Norway).
The IAA receives no State funding. Its revenues are generated through charges and fees raised from its airline customers and regulatory clients in respect of its operational and regulatory activities.
- Peter Kearney, Chief Executive Designate
- Philip Hughes, Director Technology & Training
- Ralph James, Director Safety Regulation
- Maeve Hogan, Director Finance
- Brendan Mulligan, Director Human Resources
- Aideen Gahan, Company Secretary
- Gerald Caffrey, Acting Head Corporate Affairs
- Billy Hann, Acting Director of Operations
|Number of Towers Operated||3|
|Number of Area Control Centres||2|
|Number of Employees||642|
|Number of ATCOs||289|